Birmingham and Aston Tramways Co. Ltd.
The first steam tramway in Birmingham was opened by the Birmingham and Aston Tramways Company on the 26th December 1882. The 3ft 6ins narrow gauge tramway was constructed under the Birmingham and Aston Tramways Order of 1880 and ran from Aston Street in the town centre (Birmingham did not become a city until 1889) to Witton via Aston Cross, where it diverged – one route travelling via Park Road and Witton Lane and the other via Lichfield Road and Church Lane.
The initial rolling stock consisted of six Kitson locos in a crimson livery and ten Starbuck double-deck trailer cars in cream.
On 23rd February 1885 a branch line to the foot of Gravelly Hill from Lichfield Road was opened, with a connection to Erdington being provided by the Company’s horse buses.
On the 30th June 1902, Aston Manor UDC purchased that portion of the tramway within their boundary in order to electrify it, whilst the remaining section passed to Birmingham Corporation on 1st January 1904 on the expiry of the lease.
Nos. 7-8 out of service by 1889 but
Nos. 1-10 were rebuilt single-ended
with half-canopy roof cover before entry into service. Used to construct bogie
cars 6-10 in 1896-1899.
preparing this history reference has been made to the following sources;
| Back to Main Index Page | Home |