Merthyr Tydfil Electric Traction and Lighting Co. Ltd.
1901-1939


Constructed under the Merthyr Tydfil Light Railways Order of 1899, and owned and operated by the Merthyr Tydfil Electric Traction & Lighting Company Ltd (a BET subsidiary), this electric tramway opened on the 6th April 1901.

The 3ft 6ins gauge system originally ran from Cefn Bridge on Brecon Road to the Bush Inn outside Dowlais Ironworks on Dowlais High Street, via Williamstown, Pontmorlais Circus, Penydarren Road, High Street and Penydarren New Road, a distance of about 2 miles. At Pontmorlais Circus a branch line travelled from the Owain Glyndwr along Pontmorlais High Street to Graham Road, passing the Great Western Railway's Merthyr Station.

The initial rolling stock consisted of thirteen (Nos. 1-13) Midland single-deckers and three (Nos. 14-16) ERTCW open-top double-deckers. The depot and power station were built in Trevithick Road on the site of the Penydarren Ironworks.

A -mile extension from Cefn Bridge to Cefn High Street was opened in 1914.

The tramway remained in operation until 1939, when Merthyr Tydfil Corporation, faced with the problem of trams obstructing the growing traffic in the narrow streets, purchased the system from the BET for 13,500 so that the tramway could be closed down. The last tram ran on the 23rd August 1939, and Merthyr Tydfil was able to operate its own buses along the tram routes, which it had previously been prevented from so doing by the provisions of the Merthyr Tydfil Corporation Act of 1920 that had prohibited buses competing with the trams whilst they still provided a service.

FLEET SUMMARY

Fleet Nos.

Type

Trucks

Builder

Seating

1901

1-13

Single-deck

?

Midland Railway & Carriage Works

?

14-16

Double-deck
open-top

?

ERTCW

?

Nos. 2, 4, 6-9, 11-13 fitted with new Brush double-deck open top bodies between 1909 and 1915; Nos. 2, 7-9, 11, 14-16 (+ one other) received second-hand double-deck open-top bodies ex-Birmingham and Midland in 1929-1930.
Withdrawn 1903 (10) by 1933 (3-4, 6, 12) by 1939 (remainder)

1909

10

Double-deck
open-top

?

Brush

?

No. 10 received the equipment from the former No. 10 which was withdrawn after an accident.
Withdrawn by 1939 (10).

1933

3-4

Double-deck
open-top
4-wheel

Brill 21EM?

UEC

26/22?

6

Double-deck
open-top
4-wheel

Brill 21EM?

UEC

26/22?

12

Double-deck
open-top
4-wheel

Brill 21EM?

UEC

26/22?

Nos. 3-4, 6, 12 ex-Birmingham Corporation (new 1905-1908).
Withdrawn by 1939 (3-4, 6, 12).


In producing this history reference has been made to the following source;
The Directory of British Tramways (Keith Turner, PSL 1996).
 


| Back to Main Index Page | Home |