Isle of Thanet Electric Tramways
The Isle of Thanet Electric Tramway was constructed under a Light Railway Order of 1898 and opened on 4th April 1901. The 10.84 mile line commenced in Canterbury Road, Westbrook on the western edge of Margate, ran along the sea front before turning inland through Cliftonville, across the Isle of Thanet to Broadstairs, where it ran along High Street and Dumpton Park Road, then on to Ramsgate, where it terminated by the South Eastern Railway Station.
The first 20 cars came from the St. Louis Car Co. of America, but were quickly followed by another 20 in July 1901. The fleet finally numbered 60 double-deck tramcars which sported a maroon and cream livery until 1927, when it was changed to crimson and ivory.
The Tramway Company had also been operating buses since 1913, but sold the bus operations to East Kent Road Car Company in 1936, just a year before local council pressure caused the line to close on 27th March 1937, in favour of East Kent's buses.
In producing this history
reference has been made to the following source;
| Back to Main Index Page | Home |